Sunday, March 10, 2013

In the land of the Tajiks!

If you had asked me four months ago to point out Tajikistan on a map, I would have had no clue where it was beyond "somewhere in Central Asia near all the other 'xxx-stan' countries." Yet, here I am! I am on a short term project with a development organization.

Tajikistan is a small, mountainous, landlocked country that is surrounded by Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Krygyzstan, Pakistan and China. I am in Dushanbe, the capital, a city of less than a million people- the population of the country is about 7.6 million. They speak Tajik (a variety of Persian) and Russian primarily so communicating with people here should be interesting :) The hotel staff and work colleagues speak English and have been very helpful with translating for me.

(Map of Tajikistan- thanks, Wikipedia)


So, what are my first impressions?

I'll start with the most obvious. I have not seen one Black person since I got here. And from the guaranteed stares I've been getting everywhere I go, I don't think they have seen one in a while either! I'm still not completely sure how this makes me feel. On the one hand, I think there is some healthy curiosity that I am happy to indulge (maybe even educate). On the other hand, I feel pretty vulnerable being conspicuously different. We'll see how I feel about this in a few days...

Next, for a developing country, they seem to be pretty efficient at getting (some) things done. There was a pretty big snowstorm the day I arrived. Due to jetlag, I was awake at 2am and I saw men on trucks working to clear the snow and by the next morning, the streets were clear.

One last thing, it feels a bit controlled e.g. I could not check in for more than 3 days in the hotel or get a phone SIM card without "registering" myself with the government. Also, I looked online to see if there were any churches and saw different websites describing how the government has laws that restrict religious groups (Muslim groups included). I have also been warned not to take pictures in public near government-looking buildings.

I am excited to be here and I look forward to learning more about this country in the next few weeks. Stay tuned for updates!

3 comments:

  1. At least you knew it was somewhere in Central Asia...i don't think i have ever heard of Tajikistan or i wasn't paying attention :)

    Glad you are registered with the government...in case you get lost...Just kidding!!!

    Have fun sis and take lots of pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound good, hon....as always. Have fun and come home quickly.ilu...Yemi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Yemi and Aloted! Things have been so busy. Hopefully we'll get to the "fun" part over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete