Sunday, July 26, 2009

Coolest Day on the Job (so far...)

A few weeks ago, I accompanied my boss, the Deputy Minister for Revenue to a meeting with the budget committee in the Legislature. DMR and I entered the posh office of the committee chair and found about 8 men already discussing with the Finance Minister. The Executive had prepared the budget and the Finance Minister and Deputy were meeting with the committee to clarify certain items and answer the questions of the committee before sending the budget to the House and Senate for approval (Note: the budget has since been passed).

It was fascinating to watch these national leaders discuss and debate the budget line items as they sought to balance competing expenditure items with limited revenue sources. With all the different parties advocating for what was most important to them, they went back and forth on health, education, support for small businesses, allocations for different counties etc., while pushing for the Ministry to increase revenue collection. Being in that room illustrated to me the delicate balance between the different arms of government as well as the interesting dynamics between the technocrats and politicians. This rare insight into the political process was definitely the coolest thing I’ve experienced since I’ve been here.

1 comment:

  1. A rare teachable moment on the continent... I am sure the budget allocation process in extractive economies is nothing like you have just described. More likely, it would be a scramble for bits and pieces of looted money. Oye, I don tire of this oil & gas business. It's just depressing. - Dunmomi

    ReplyDelete